Policy and Advocacy Team
- Identify opportunities to leverage the collective voice of the Alliance to achieve Alliance goals; inclusive of type and level of advocacy needed.
- Determine the most effective ways to reduce barriers for the achievement of Alliance goals through advocacy
- Guide collective advocacy efforts approved by the Alliance
- The Alliance for a Healthier South Carolina Policy and Advocacy Team does not engage in legislative advocacy or lobbying.
- 2017 Meeting Times: To be announced.
Accelerating Behavioral Health Outcomes improvement in South Carolina
The Alliance encourages members to support all recommendations as appropriate to the individual organizations, with specific collective focus on 6 recommendations prioritized by the Policy and Advocacy Team:
Prioritized Prescription Drug Prevention Recommendations:
- Support use of SCRIPTs (South Carolina Reporting & Identification Prescription Tracking System) by providers.
- Support the use of Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) for opioid addiction, especially during pregnancy.
- Support the expansion of prescription drug take-back sites.
Prioritized Behavioral Health Recommendations:
- Create short-stay crisis stabilization facilities across the state for patients experiencing a behavioral health emergency.
- Support the expansion of access to outpatient behavioral health services around the state.
- Develop a network of Mobile Crisis Units.
A new case study about the Charleston-Dorchester Mental Health Center, explains these three components of a comprehensive behavioral health strategy.